June 18 – 24 « Arrested Motion
More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- A new cryptocurrency art auction is selling shares in an Andy Warhol painting.
- An ambitious Whitney show will investigate Warhol’s early and lesser-known works.
- David Nash comes to terms with the end of ‘Ash Dome’.
- Why have there been no great black art dealers? How a small but influential group is correcting history.
- Here’s the 2018 exhibitor list for 1-54 Contemporary African Art Fair in London.
- After sixteen years in operation, the Pasadena Museum of California Art will close.
- Curator Helen Molesworth offered these 5 pieces of advice in her UCLA commencement address.
- Grow up, ‘Fearless Girl’: New York City wants to create monuments honoring its fearless women.
- Whitney to open seven days a week for summer.
- Ai Weiwei launches sale of works to benefit World Refugee Day.
- Ai Weiwei retraces his father’s steps to Marseille in 1929 for new show.
- Cleveland Museum acquires key Emma Amos painting.
- Saudi Arabian foundation donates €9m to Berlin Museum of Islamic Art.
- The financial wizard who made Damien Hirst a star is now cashing in.
- Court disbars lawyer who represented Atlanta art collector.
- Gagosian fires back, moving to dismiss lawsuits by two disgruntled Jeff Koons collectors.
- Anish Kapoor sues NRA for copyright infringement over ‘Cloud Gate’ sculpture.
- An unseen Banksy is on show at “Hang-Ten” Exhibition in London.
- Wielding paint rollers, an art collective scaled a Bay Area billboard to protest Trump’s immigration policy.
- Pittsburgh cartoonist says he was fired after 25 years for making fun of Trump.
- The 57th Carnegie Museum of Art’s exhibition includes new works by Zoe Leonard, Joan Jonas & others.
- A suspected gang shooting at a New Jersey Art Festival has left one dead and 22 injured.
- Victoria Beckham and Sotheby’s team up for a show in London.
- Sotheby’s begins the summer season with a limp $116 million Impressionist and Modern sale.
- New prismatic murals by Xomatok cover the streets of Lima with bursts of color.
- Beijing street artists taking graffiti in China to the next level, transforming the city.
- ‘Beijing is not a static place’: A report from the Chinese capital’s gallery weekend.
- Price check! Here’s what sold—and for how much—at Art Basel 2018.
- The gray market: Why Art Basel is both a gift and a curse.
- Get over the unpronounceable names—go east for talented, smart artists at affordable prices.
- How Romanian painter Adrian Ghenie conquered the art market.
- Which of Picasso’s muses is the art market’s darling?
- Jasper Johns’ life and work: A conversation between John Yau, Martha Wilson & William Villalongo.
- Painter Etel Adnan’s career didn’t take off until her eighties—now she’s an inspiration to young artists.
- Why Michael Jackson remains a thrilling inspiration for artists.
- Iconic David Bowie portraits transformed into Ukiyo-e artworks.
- The 10 art clichés the art world hates to love (or maybe just plain loves).
- Geoff McFetridge teases Mickey Mouse artworks for new Uniqlo collab.
- Instagram star caught using other people’s photos.
- Meet Norm, the painter-for-hire beloved by L.A.’s leading artists.
- Amy Sherald on how she went from obscurity to a museum survey (and the White House).
- 6 works that explain Yayoi Kusama’s rise to art world stardom.
- Can Yayoi Kusama make the Rockaways this summer’s viral art destination? Klaus Biesenbach hopes so.
- Rising star Caitlin Keogh on how vintage fashion and contemporary poetry inspire her hypnotic paintings.
- The mind reimagined in paper brains by artist Elsa Mora.
- The Inamori Foundation in Japan has revealed the winners of this year’s Kyoto Prize.
- $10,000 Artadia Houston awards go to Francis Almendarez and Dana Frankfort.
- MOCA Cleveland names Sondra Perry first winner of $50,000 Toby’s Prize.
- Richard Diebenkorn brought California light to abstract expressionism.
- Cosima von Bonin to install 30-foot-long playground in front of de Young Museum in San Francisco.
- Must-see art guide San Francisco. This week’s guide features Shara Hughes, Patricia Treib, and more.
- How the scandal around “Sleepwalker” foreshadowed today’s culture wars.
- The Glasgow School of Art has burned down again. Will Scotland rebuild it (again)?
- 20 curators taking a cutting-edge approach to art history.
- Understanding Christo and Jeanne-Claude through 6 pivotal artworks.
- Watch Nick Cave describe the origins of his trademark soundsuits.
- The stories behind 7 objects that made up Frida Kahlo’s iconic look.
- Is this painted tile Leonardo da Vinci’s earliest known artwork? Experts are at odds.
- The best places to take ceramics classes across the U.S.
- ‘A little time capsule’: Giacometti Institute opens in Paris with a reconstruction of artist’s studio.
- Podcast: Art and football plus John Akomfrah interview.
Street Art Artist
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Anthea Missy in an artist and offers urban art, paintings, murals, and entertainment.
Anthea Missy1 week ago
Merci Romain De Reusme for his words on my recent best murals of 2018 with RainbowHouse Brussels ❤️🙏🦋