June 4 – 10 « Arrested Motion
More stories below from this week (click on bolded words for more information):
- Anthony Bourdain dead at 61 of apparent suicide.
- Anthony Bourdain bought this ominous John Lurie painting days before he died.
- Summer preview: the most promising museum shows and biennials around the world.
- Must-See Art Guide, Seoul: Featuring Xu Zhen, Jacob Kassay, Joris Laarman, and more.
- Picasso, Warhol & more iconic artists spotlighted in major Australia exhibit.
- Australia’s largest contemporary art gallery to be built in Melbourne.
- The Uffizi Gallery gathers some heavy hitters in a new room.
- Ai Weiwei’s “Fan-Tan” exhibition to be inspired by his father, and his largest solo show in France.
- The Lichtenstein Foundation is closing—and it just donated 400 works to the Whitney.
- Brian Allen explains how artists can hurt rather than help museums like MoCA Los Angeles.
- From the Met and Christie’s to Cheim & Read: how the art world guest stars in ‘Ocean’s 8’.
- Art is becoming a financial product, and blockchain is making it happen.
- Podcast: From auction week to Art Basel, what’s happening in the art market.
- Podcast: Freud, Bacon, Hockney and the post-war London scene; and Signals gallery.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about the art market but didn’t know who to ask.
- Di Donna brings Jasper Johns’s “Disappearance I” to Art Basel.
- Gorky, Mitchell will lead Hauser + Wirth Art Basel stand next week.
- Frieze offers a refund to dealers affected by the excessive heat at this year’s New York Fair.
- As fairs face unprecedented scrutiny, EXPO Chicago launches a new curator exchange platform.
- Impressionist masterpieces from London will head to Paris’s Foudation Louis Vuitton next year.
- Christie’s Loïc Gouzer on the regrettable rise of the ADD art collector.
- Collector appeals for return of Pissarro painting restituted through a 1945 order made by the Allies France.
- Sotheby’s brings Basquiat held in Italy for 35 years to London.
- Daughter sues her father over Jean-Michel Basquiat painting.
- Paul Kasmin Gallery to open fourth space in Chelsea, New York.
- New York gallery Tanya Bonakdar will open Los Angeles branch.
- Good-bye to all that: Boyle Heights, a hotbed of gentrification protests, sees galleries depart.
- Museums too: what should institutions do when artists are accused of abuse?
- Comedian Cheech Marin will open a museum for his collection of Chicano art in So. CA.
- Mark Bradford on his epic painting cycle at the Hirshhorn Museum, ‘Pickett’s Charge’.
- ‘We had to create something new’: Klaus Biesenbach on inventing the Berlin Biennale.
- The curator of the 10th Berlin Biennale, Gabi Ngcobo, refuses to exorcize Europe’s colonial ghosts.
- ‘A name we will remember for decades to come’: critics and artists memorialize Irving Sandler.
- Malcolm Morley, genre-crossing artist, is dead at 86.
- Architectural landmarks come to life in these performances.
- She’s not president (yet), but Oprah Winfrey has already taken over DC—as an art exhibition.
- The hidden women of architecture and design.
- What you need to know about Baroque master Artemisia Gentileschi.
- Beer with a painter: Joyce Pensato’s work is about grand gestures and not backing down.
- Innovative light and space artist Mary Corse is finally getting the exhibitions she deserves.
- From the archives: Haegue Yang brings storage to the spotlight, in 2010.
- Searching for the in-between: Margarita Cabrera’s collaborative art thinks beyond borders.
- Hair is a vibrant source of power in Lorna Simpson’s fantastical collages.
- An exclusive look inside Takashi Murakami’s major retrospective in Texas.
- Takashi Murakami on his early years, Francis Bacon, and Kanye West.
- The artwork that inspired Kid Cudi & Kanye West’s ‘Kids See Ghosts‘ album cover.
- Celebrity photographer Mark Seliger on the stories behind 8 of his iconic portraits.
- ‘A giant to those who know’: David Zwirner to represent estate of photographer Roy DeCarava.
- White Cube Gallery London, now represents artist Danh Vo.
- Alberto Giacometti abandoned Surrealist success to focus on the human body.
- Revealed: Van Gogh’s failed attempt at art dealing.
- What was it like to conduct Marcel Duchamp’s only live television interview?
- Jerry Saltz: Why is the Met’s new show about the body in art history so stultifying and dull?
- Woolworths cancels Spencer Tunick’s mass nude shoot in Melbourne—it would turn off shoppers.
- From Picasso’s signature to Kahlo’s unibrow, who legally owns the rights to an artist’s brand?
- Henry Taylor wins $25,000 Robert De Niro, Sr. prize.
- How dead artists continue producing work.
- The artists who have made the night sky their muse.
- 3 tried-and-true drawing lessons for beginners.
Street Art Artist
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Anthea Missy in an artist and offers urban art, paintings, murals, and entertainment.
Anthea Missy shared Anthea Missy's post.21 hours ago
About my stories and how to follow my work everyday 🔥😁
Anthea Missy1 day ago
They need your help! Do you know Le Mur in France ? Now a new Mur in south of France by my friends in Mouans Sartoux. Open your wallet for public art 🦋 Go follow ⚡️Unwhite it.
#streetart #cotedazur #lemur #mouanssartoux
#streetart #cotedazur #lemur #mouanssartoux